Discover the Impact of Design
Design is all around you. From the posters hanging on your wall to the chair you’re sitting in, almost everything you see, feel and hear has been touched by a designer. Explore the diverse world of design with the only comprehensive academic design department in the entire University of California system.
Design, Art and Technology
Program Dates: June 23 - July 14, 2018
Do you have artistic abilities and wonder how they can be applied in the professional world? In this hands-on course, explore the vast and exciting world of design.
This program will introduce you to a variety of design fields you may already be familiar with—graphic, fashion, interior and architecture—as well as some that you may not be, including experience, place, sustainability and exhibition. All these aspects of design will be explored through lively discussions and thought-provoking projects that will challenge you to learn by doing.
- Practice with the latest tools at the disposal of professional designers, including Adobe Creative Cloud, 3D modeling, laser cutting and more.
- Flex your creative muscles in a variety of mediums and projects, including hand drawing, silk screening, poster design and exhibition design.
- Visit museums, art installations and professional design studios to get inspired and see how design is applied in the real world.
By the end of your three weeks with us, you will have created a comprehensive collection of original work through both individual exploration and creative collaboration, that will result in a personalized, online portfolio sure to make your college application look outstanding!
Graphics, Interaction and Architecture
Program Dates: July 21 - August 11, 2018
Every decision a designer makes about their work must be considered and have purpose. In this program, you will dive into three design genres—graphic design, interaction design and the built environment—to learn the basic principles of design and give direction and meaning to the choices you make in your design work.
Each week, you’ll explore one of our three subject genres through engaging and fun discussions, learning about their history, context and impacts with consideration for ethics, responsibility, politics and accessibility. Those lessons will then be carried over into the studio where you’ll work both individually and in groups to reinforce your understanding of design concepts, materials and methods as you develop prototypes and receive feedback from peers.
- Gain a broad understanding of three of the most prevalent design genres practiced today.
- Acquire design thinking skills and vocabulary as you learn how to both develop and critique design.
- Go on experiential field trips where you will be exposed to various examples of our subject design genres and see how they intersect in real-world applications.
You will walk away from this program with a more meaningful understanding of design, its possibilities and what is important to you as a designer. Oh, and you’ll also have three new, portfolio-ready projects to show off!