The Ocean is Your Classroom
Program Dates: August 3 - 14, 2020
Experience the satisfaction and excitement of scientific discovery in the Coastal & Marine Sciences Pre-College Program. o You’ll spend your two weeks with us entirely in Bodega Bay at the UC Davis Bodega Marine Laboratory and Bodega Marine Reserve—one of the world's most biologically rich coastal and marine environments.
This engaging, experience-based program is designed to help you learn about the diverse and varied habitats of the rugged Northern California coast, while gaining insight into how human activities are impacting these ecosystems.
- Voyage offshore aboard the 42-foot research vessel Mussel Point. Look for marine mammals and birds while you learn about the base of the ocean food web: plankton!
- Hike the trails of the Bodega Marine Reserve and explore grasslands, dunes and other terrestrial habitats.
- Kayak local estuaries and learn about water flow.
- Discover the incredible abundance and diversity of marine life found in tide pools.
- Interact with scientists from a wide variety of coastal and marine science specialties.
Fall in love with the coast while learning first-hand—and hands-on—about cutting-edge marine science. The UC Davis Bodega Marine Laboratory and Bodega Marine Reserve are unlike any classroom you've ever experienced. You'll feel the spray in your hair, the sand between your toes and fall asleep to the not-so-distant crash of the California surf.
For 50 years, Bodega Marine Laboratory has provided hands-on training to students who have become leaders in the fields of marine science and policy. If you're interested in marine science and conservation, the UC Davis Pre-College Program in Coastal & Marine Sciences is an unparalleled opportunity to explore these fields.
Please Note: Due to the later start time of the Coastal & Marine Sciences Program, students may request to leave the program prior to the August 14 end date in order accommodate school or other scheduling issues.